Chicago 1833 - 1933 - A century of progress

Message par worldfairs » 21 févr. 2011 06:07 pm

Chicago 1833 - 1933 - A century of progress
Editeur : Marquette Publishing Co.
Année de sortie : 1933
Langue : Anglais

Book - Chicago 1833 - 1933 - A century of progress

Introduction :

When Franklin Delano Roosevelt took over the reigns of the Government of the United States on March 4, 1933, he said that Congress would not adjourn, nor would he take time off, until conditions were on the up-road. True to his task, he had to turn down the invitation of Rufus C. Dawes, President of A Century of Progress, to officially open Chicago's Centennial celebration.

The President, however, delegated Postmaster General James A. Farley to represent him here and deliver a presidential speech appropriate of the opening of a World's Fair. Mr. Farley addressed the opening day throng briefly in his own words and concluded with the message from the president. Fie read:
"I have already expressed my regrets to President Dawes of the Exposition at my inability to fulfill my engagement to open the Century of Progress celebration, which I am sure will be one of the historic gatherings, and which I hope will be the inauguration of a Century of even greater progress—progress not only along material lines; progress not only of my country, but a world uplifting that will culminate in the greater happiness of mankind, and release all peoples from the outworn processes and policies that have brought about such a commercial and industrial depression as has plagued every country on the globe.

"Certainly the human intelligence that has accomplished the industrial and cultural results displayed at your exposition need not fall short of devising methods that will insure against another perilous approach to collapse such as that from which we are now emerging. The long and painful story of the progress of mankind to the development of what we term civilization is divided into chapters each of which marks the overcoming of a curse on humanity. Slavery, private wars, piracy, brigandage and well-nigh universal tyranny have in turn been conquered and done away with. Plagues which in past centuries decimated populations at frequent intervals have been studied and medicine has triumphed over most of them. Here and there appear, perhaps, sporadic vestiges of intolerance and cruel despotism, but what a change from the world conditions in which they were practically universal! Yet all of these have in their time been doomed the inescapable crosses of mankind—beyond human power to ameliorate, much less cure. The advance of science and the evolution of humanity and .charity made it known to us that whatever is the result of human agency is capable of correction by human intelligence. Who is there of so little faith as to believe that man is so limited that he will not find a remedy for the industrial ills that periodically make the world shiver with doubt and terror?

"Every convention of the peoples of the world brings nearer the time of mutual helpfulness, so I welcome the celebration you are now beginning. It is timely not only because it marks a century of accomplishment, but it comes at a time when the world needs nothing so much as a better mutual understanding of the peoples of the earth.
"I congratulate Chicago and its guests and wish the exposition unbounded success—success as a show but more success in helping to bring about a binding friendship among the nations of the earth."
Pour tout savoir sur les expositions universelles et internationales.
http://www.worldfairs.info

Retourner vers « Chicago 1933 - Livres, publications, documents »